Make this hearty wild mushroom soup with pearl barley for a filling lunch or supper. Serve with a dollop of soured cream and crusty bread on the side
- 30g dried porcini mushrooms
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 20g unsalted butter
- 250g mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 celery stick, finely diced
- 200g pearl barley
- 800ml chicken, beef or veal stock
- small bunch of dill, leaves chopped
- soured cream and crusty bread, to serve
- Cover the porcini mushrooms with 750ml boiling water and leave to soak.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large saucepan and add the chopped mushrooms, carrot and celery. Fry over a medium-high heat for around 10 mins or until the carrots are beginning to turn dark gold. Add the barley and stir the mixture for about 2 mins, then pour in the stock.
- Drain the porcini, retaining the soaking liquor, and cut up any large bits. Add these to the pan, along with the liquor. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for 30 mins (it might take a bit longer) until the barley is tender. Taste for seasoning. Stir in the dill. Serve with a dollop of soured cream on top of each bowlful and crusty bread on the side.
You can read Full Here: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/russian-wild-mushroom-barley-soup