Preparation time 15mCooking time 4h 40mWaiting time 15m
For 4 Person(s)
- 1 whole 6.36 kg. (14 lbs) Grace Smoked Ham Leg Ham
- 2 sheet(s) Aluminium Foil
- 4 cup(s) water
- 1 can(s) Grace Pineapple slices
- 1/4 cup(s) sugar
- 1 teaspoon(s) crushed ginger
- 24 whole clove(s)
- 1 bottle(s) Grace Sweet n Spicy Hot Pepper Sauce
- 12 whole cherries
Grace Smoked Ham Directions
- Remove ham from the freezer and wrap in news paper. Thaw in the bottom of the refrigerator for 24-36 hours.
- Remove casing from ham and pat dry using a clean kitchen towel. Place two overlapping sheets of aluminium foil on work surface and use to wrap ham. Use additional aluminium foil to cover ham completely, if necessary.
- Fit a rack over the roasting pan, place ham on the rack, ensuring that the fat side of the ham faces upwards; then pour water into the roasting pan. The water should NOT touch the ham.
- Bake ham in a pre-heated oven at 180°C (350°F), allowing 20 minutes per pound. Replenish water if necessary.
- Remove ham from the oven and allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes. Ham is fully baked when the skin peels off easily.
- Drain liquid from the can of pineapple slices and put it to boil with the sugar, ginger and about 8 cloves. Boil until the mixture becomes syrupy. Remove from flame and add the pineapple slices to the mixture, toss and set aside.
- To decorate the ham: Peel off the skin. Use a sharp knife to make diagonal slits in the ham and then stud with remaining cloves. Pour Grace Sweet n’ Spicy Hot Pepper Sauce over the surface of the ham and spread evenly using a pastry brush. Return to the oven and bake for a further 10-15 minutes or until a golden brown colour is achieved. Remove ham from the oven.
- Arrange pineapple slices over the surface of the ham and secure each with toothpicks. Place a cherry in the center of each pineapple slice.
PREPARATION NOTE: (1) Thawing time will depend on the size of the ham. (2) The size of the roasting pan will dictate the amount of water used. (3) The size of the ham will determine the total baking time.
How to calculate baking time:
6.36 kg x 2.2046 = 14 lbs
14 lbs divided by 3 = 4.67 hours OR 14 lbs x 20 minutes per pound = 280 minutes divided by 60 minutes = 4.67 hours.
.67 hours x 60 = 40 minutes
Total Baking Time: 4 hours 40 minutes
Yield: Approx. 50 slices